Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fall Garden seed list




Here is the desert we do our spring planting in the fall and our summer planting in the spring...we're crazy like that. We drool over garden catalogs and websites while sitting in front of the air conditioner and sipping ice tea instead of by the fire with hot cocoa. It is 107 here today and what little I have planted this year is hoping and praying for Monsoon as much as I am. I can't go outside without suffering acute heat exhaustion so instead I sit her and plan our next major growing season...Fall.
I am buying my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom and Native Seed Search because I want GMO free seeds.
If you live in the desert and want to know what to plant and when here is a list for you.


FALL GARDEN 2011:
Artichoke
Broccoli
Cabbage (both red and green)
Cilantro
Carrots
Celery (have my doubts but I am going to give it a go)
Garlic
Leeks
Lettuce mix
Mint
potato (also not sure about this)
Onions (both red and brown)
Peas (2 kinds)
Spinach


We also plan to put in at least 10 mesquite and possibly a few fruit trees. I thought I would get all the fruit trees put in  in the fall, but now I think it is best to wait until the wind break trees have had a chance to grow in a bit.........I might tuck a few in around the yard here and there is protected spots...we will see how it unfolds. I also need to run the drip irrigation to the vegetable garden and along the fence for the mesquite trees.

No comments: